First Sight

PHOTO PROMPT – Copyright – Georgia Koch

boatpilxr_-antiqued

“Your grandfather used to run coal up and down this canal,” said Elizabeth’s grandmother, hands stuffed deep into the pockets of her coat and they squidged through the muddy footpath side by side.

“My father was a farmer just over there. One day there was a knock on the door. There he was, covered in soot and wrestling this poor, soaked ewe into submission on the doorstep. Well he looks up at me and says mam, you need to fix your bloody fence. The canal is not a ship dip trough.

I dam near asked him to marry me then.”

fridayfictioneers.jpg

(100 Words)

50 Comments

1. Lovely piece. I could just imagine wrestling a ewe into submission on the doorstep. 🙂 A great piece of history, and I loved her matter of fact ‘dam near asked him to marry me.’

2. Great touch of history. If it weren’t for the sheep they might never have met.

should “and they squidded be as they squidded? If not , please ignore me. Love the use of squidded by the way.

1. Thank you. The picture made me think of the walks my gran used to take my sister and I on near the Market Drayton canal, and when we were walking she would tell us a little bit of the history of what it was used for. As far as the sheep goes it’s what they do, no matter what the fence, they will find a way to escape.

3. Dear Carol,
    I was a little confused at the end of the first paragraph. Did you mean pockets of her overcoat? Anyway, the second stanza cleared everything up and made me smile. I too, enjoy those “love at first sight” stories.

1. Thank you, I’m glad the second paragraph cleared it all up, though I did mean the pockets of her overcoat. This was one of those piece where I really wanted a few extra words but being a goody-two-shoes I didn’t really want to go over.

4. Dear Carol,

I’m with Russell. It looks as though auto-correct got hold of your ‘of’. Good story though and great dialog and characterization. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

5. Lovely story – it reminds me of ones my Grandma used to tell us. 🙂 The image of him wrestling the ewe into submission on the doorstep is wonderfully vivid.

6. This is an absolutely wonderful story. You paint such a vivid picture of the scene with your words. I loved the inherent joy that she experienced in that memory!

7. Forgive me if I’m baa-ing up the wrong tree, but I wondered whether you’ve used the word ‘dam’ – rather than ‘damn’ deliberately, giving your story both watery and anthropormorphic dimensions. 🙂 Nice story even if not.

1. Well I’m not entirely sure if it’s what you were going for but I was hearing somewhere in between Yorkshire and Glaswegian. 🙂

Comments below, but please leave your bots at the door.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s