Daydream Girl – A Haibun

Yesterday is but today’s memory, and tomorrow is today’s dream.

Kahlil Gibra

They called her Daydream Girl.

Eyes, tucked away in the letters of books, spine crackled and binding frayed. She was music, tripping up over loose pavement stone in the hopes of digging out stories long ago buried in the sands of time.

Her hands were skeleton keys pushed into every lock on sunken chests pulled up from abandoned rib-cages. Took care not to hurt the crustaceans as she pulled them away mail-link by mail-link until only the under armour remained.

Ba-dum.

Ba-dum.

Ba-dum.

They will not tell me where to find her again.

These words are brittle,

there is nothing of you here

and I am tired.

dverselogohttp://dversepoets.com/2015/10/05/haibun-monday-2/

I wrote this piece and realised that it has a lot of similarities to last night/this morning’s piece Dreamer. It’s sort of interesting how the prompt lined up with that.

40 Comments

1. I really like this.. it resonated with those memories of parties in the past of how you can seem so connected with someone, and afterwards it all just evaporates into nothingness.. it could have been a lifechanging moment.. or maybe just a dream.

2. I like the bellowed misty dragons. This made me think of long gone party buddies, disappeared into the mists of the past. The short poem made me said and think of stale morning after coffee. So very sad. Excellent haibun though and certainly did fit the quote beautifully.

1. Thank you very much. To be honest the party idea hadn’t really struck me but you’re the second person to mention it and now I think about it, it does fit.
      Thanks for reading. It always amazes me how my readers can pull out thoughts from my words that I hadn’t considered.

3. Your writing is like a finely wrought hand crafted piece of silver. It resonates with a lonely passion.

1. Wow, that’s a compliment and a half. It’s certainly taken a lot of beating to get it wrought into shape but I like to think I’ve improved over the years.
      Thank you for stopping by.

1. Yes, it reads like you have spent a lot of time on it. I tend to write more spontaneously – both have their merits I think.

1. Well I wouldn’t say a lot of time. I just went back and read it through a few more times than I normally would. Fifteen minutes maximum after I actually worked out what to write.

4. She sounds like a treasure chest to me…full of all kinds of forgotten pieces of the past and some that are still fun and full of life. Your ending haiku speaks of a long ago time that no longer exists and age has taken the spark from that once-upon-a time-life.

5. Thanks so much, Carol…what a nice thing to say, it’s nice to get that feedback too. Sometimes you never know if what you’ve said has made any sense or not! 🙂

6. Daydream Girl needs to become in-the-moment girl. A terrific haibun. for sure, rocking the socks off the prompt. Wow, this is 4/4 out on the trail, & we all picked that quote. I added a Gibran painting to the mix, as Bjorn suggested. I like the longish line /her hands were skeleton keys pushed into every lock on sunken chests pulled up from abandoned rib cages/.

1. Thank you. I loved that line the moment I wrote it. It was one of the few times that I’ve written a poem and thought yeah, this is something special.
      I’m glad you enjoyed it.
      I’ll be over to check yours out too but I’ve got work in a few minutes so I’m just going through my comments and I’ll be back to reading tonight.

7. I specially admire this part: She poured laughter down my throat and burnt out my lungs with song. Left me bellowing misty dragons into the night. Ran my hands across the tempo of her chest and told me to dance with the beat.

Lovely haibun Carol ~ Thanks for joining our Haibun Monday ~

8. I really love this, it really resonated with me. I’ve always been a daydream girl myself.
    And somehow your ending brought it all full circle for me, the I am tired felt like an absolutely perfect close. Well done!

Comments below, but please leave your bots at the door.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s