September Speculative Fiction Prompt

Earlier this year a new speculative fiction prompt was kicked of by D Wallace Peach on her sight Myths Of The Mirror. Unfortunately she had to set this fantastic prompt aside due to personal matters after only a few months, despite the fantastic success and take up that it was met with.

After asking for her blessing, I decided that I would pick up where she left off and host the prompt here on Writing and Works. It will follow much the same format, publishing on the 1st of each month, using imagery from Pixabay, and focusing on the speculative fiction genre.

Speculative Fiction: a genre of fiction that encompasses works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements

Oxford Dictionary

Our September image is the one directly below.

For any visually impaired writers, it is a black and white image showing a young woman with a septum piercing, wearing a scarf or hood which casts her face into shadow.

Post your response to your site and then add a link the to link up above. There are no word limits or style requirements. Short stories, flash fiction, poetry, and extracts from longer works are all welcome.

Please keep it PG however as this is open to anyone who wishes to take part and I’d like to think that we will all do our best to read each other’s contributions.

I will do my best to get round everyone and leave comments. Remember, if there is particular feedback you are looking for then you can mention this in your post.

So, those are the details out of the way, the only thing to do is to hand this off to you. Have fun and happy writing.

78 Comments

1. I’m busy having a blah day here in the midwest. I will try to come back to this later in the week when, perhaps, I will have more gumption and verve. Or at least a smidgeon of moxie.

2. I have a reblog set up for tomorrow, Carol. I’ll be traveling, but will make sure to stop by and follow links. Thanks so much for taking up the prompt! Happy Writing!

3. Lovely image. Perhaps I’ll come through with something. I’m already intrigued by how differently everyone sees things. For the visually impaired I would have described it quite oppositely: It is a very close up black and white image showing a young woman with a septum piercing, wearing a scarf or hood, and surrounded by complete darkness. Only her face is softly illuminated from below.

4. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord Blog Magazine and commented:
    For those of us who have missed the Speculative fiction prompt by Diana Wallace Peach, you will be pleased to hear that Diana has handed over the reins to Carol Forrester who is kindly going to curate the challenge going forward.. Here is the opening to her post and please head over to read all about the new arrangement.. thanks Sally

September Speculative Fiction Prompt
    written by Carol J Forrester

5. Glad to see the prompts have found a new home 🙂 Looking forward to reading some awesome stories!

6. […] phrase on prompt #14, so I combined it with the photo provided by Carol J.Forrester on this months Speculative Fiction Prompt, and the quote, “He built his fires in a thousand places and slept on the banks of rivers. The […]

7. Thanks for taking over this wonderful prompt. Speculative fiction is not my forte, but I am a lover of inspiration in any form, and this photo did the trick.

8. Hi carol, I have done it once with Diana and liked the experience of having a prompt to write about. I publish on my blog every friday and want to publish my thoughts about this image on Sep 27th. I shall leave a comment here on friday. Hope that’s not too late.

Comments below, but please leave your bots at the door.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s