Another month gone, and another month beginning. As we move into November, it is time for a new prompt.
This month I want you to think about the wonderful speculative fiction of authors such as Neil Gaiman, especially works such as Neverwhere. Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunters series is another that you could look to for this month’s prompt. Both of these writers take the modern, real word, and overlay the fantastical. Fantasy and reality woven together to create engaging stories that suck the reader in and have us wondering what really lurks in the shadows.
The guidelines for those of you who are new are as follows:
- Speculative Fiction: a genre of fiction that encompasses works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements. [Oxford Dictionary]
- Use the image below to write a story, poem, perhaps even a script. There are no rules about form or style. If you would like to create a piece of art in response that is also welcome. This prompt is about being artistic and creative in whatever way suits you best.
- Please keep entries PG as this is open to all. (i.e no erotica)
- The prompt is open from the first of the month to the end of the month.
- Use pingbacks to link up to the prompt or leave a link in the comments section. Whichever you prefer.
- I try to at least read every entry in the prompt and I’d love to encourage anyone taking part to try and check some of the other entries if they can.
- As always, re-tweets, re-blogs, and shares are gratefully received. We are always open to new participants.
Good luck to anyone who is also tackling NaNoWriMo this month. I wish you every success. Who knows, you could incorporate your response to this prompt into your novel somehow?
Happy writing everyone, and all the best for November.