It’s a new year, and in the spirit of 2022, the speculative fiction prompt is back! On the first of each month there will be a new image for writers to use to inspire work. We accept all styles of writing, be that a poem, a short story, of a chapter for a novel. This prompt was originally the brainchild of D Wallace Peach over at Myths of the Mirror. Writing and Works took over 2019 and it went on hiatus at the start of the pandemic.
The guidelines for those of you who are new are as follows:
- Speculative Fiction: a genre of fiction that encompasses works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements. [Oxford Dictionary]
- Use the image above to write a story, poem, perhaps even a script. There are no rules about form or style. If you would like to create a piece of art in response that is also welcome. This prompt is about being artistic and creative in whatever way suits you best.
- Please keep entries PG as this is open to all. (i.e. no erotica)
- A new prompt will be posted on the first of each month but feel free to go back and use previous months as you see fit.
- Use pingbacks to link up to the prompt or leave a link in the comments section. Whichever you prefer.
- Please include a note with your work to say if you are open to constructive feedback on the work.
- Please try to check out the responses shared in the comments and pingbacks. If you comment, please take note of the writer’s preference regarding feedback. (A good reference guide for feedback is to start with a positive, then mention what you feel could do with work, and finish up on another point that you liked.
- As always, re-tweets, re-blogs, and shares are all gratefully received. We are always open to new participants.
Ready, set, WRITE!